The Word became Flesh
We read many verses in Ephesians 4-6 relating to speech.
- What has the Word becoming flesh to do with our use of words (in speaking and writing)?
- He sets the standard, which is perfection, since all his words were truth, pure and God-glorifying (Psalm 119).
- He gives us the ability, by his indwelling Spirit to speak like him (II Peter 1:3). Power to minister.
- When we fail we have an advocate and forgiveness.
Tripp speaks of aspects of our ability that we need to tap into:
- Hope in a guaranteed positive result.
- Riches of supply in Christ who alone can tame our tongues.
- Power to speak like Christ (Eph.3:20).
- Recognition that God rules in every circumstance (especially when tempted to sin).
What practical steps can we take to seek to speak godly words?
- Admit our inability and pray on every occasion (Like Nehemiah).
- Keep alert and recognise God’s rule in the situation e.g. when tempted to retaliate (remember Shimei). Don’t give in to a pattern of sinful talk (e.g. arguing)
- Recognise that you cannot do what God alone can.
- Be willing to admit sin to God and others.
- Listen to rebuke.
- Believe God does use you to bless others so take the initiative with strangers, brethren and sisters etc.
Worth noting that about 20% of the verses in Proverbs concern speech-have a look and mark them all.
Next Study (DV) Saturday June 24th 8pm to look at Chapter 4 “Idol Words”