Churches are distinguishable. Some are true, some are false, some are departing from the truth. Every Christian should be a member of a true church.
What are the marks?
- Faithful Biblical Preaching.
- Sacraments properly administered.
- Biblical church discipline.
Preaching , the chief means of grace must be faithful exposition of Scripture and according to the creeds.
The sacraments are signs and seals of the message and consist the Lord’s Supper for believing members and the baptism of believers and their children, both overseen by the elders.
Discipline, again the function of the elders, consists the exercise of oversight of the congregation, admonishing of sin and for the impenitent, excommunication.
Churches and denominations must be tested.
The following ought to be disciplined:
- liberals and modernists
- invalid ministers or office bearers (women and practising homosexuals)
- those on second marriages where first spouse still lives
- practising homosexuals
- see exclusions from Lord’s Supper here
- See Belgic Confession Article 29
- Listen to classes
- Full message available here: http://hopeprchurch.org/resources/lectures/the-necessity-of-membership-within-a-true-church-of-jesus-christ/